It is a mission of the Montessori Schools to encourage parents to continue to do at home some of the proven Montessori methods of early learning activities that teachers incorporate. Young children have a keen desire to have caring demonstration and encouragement to support and foster their ongoing excited efforts.
What is learned?
Whether the projects are in science or art, actual hands-on experiences are the quickest and easiest way for a child to learn how to accomplish the desired results. Coloring, drawing, painting, using stickers and embellishments, and other skills can be the start of a budding artist. Observing seeds turn into plants, viewing animals and insects, watching flowers bloom, and similar experiments can teach physical science.
There are hundreds of child-size age-appropriate materials and publications, as well as, simple household objects that can be used in many forms of creativity and problem-solving.
- Jumbo Thermometer
- This oversized sturdy plastic weather tool, without mercury and with easy-to-read numbers can be used to teach the skills of observation, measuring, recording, math, writing, and learning the differences between the Fahrenheit and the Celsius (centigrade) scales.
- Design Cards
- Art, writing and language creativity can be accomplished on 4” x 6” cards that can be used by the children for birthday and other greeting cards, invitations, or as thank you notes for gifts received. Let the imaginations take over as they create with crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, lace, small bows, ribbon, and stickers.
- Body Doodlers
- Children love face and body painting, and these washable non-toxic crayons glide on and wash off easily. A set of six would probably include white, black, green, blue, red and yellow packed in a convenient plastic case for storage. Not only meant for Halloween, they can be used for any birthday party, make believe plays that the children can put on, dressing up, or just any time for fun.
- Real Bowles stethoscope
- This is authentic and really works! It is chrome-plated, has white polyethylene ear tips and plastic flexible 24-inch-long tubing that can be cut to adjust the length. The children will be fascinated as they listen to their heartbeats and other noises in their bodies.
- Bug Viewers
- You can purchase real glass magnifiers with an extra-large non-scratch glass that are ideal for small hands and the big eyes of children as they are intrigued when observing insects as well as other small nature objects, leaves, flowers, and more in their outdoor explorations and field trips.
See for Yourself
If you would like to learn how a Montessori preschool education will benefit your child, feel free to contact our school for a tour. The knowledgeable instructors and staff at the Montessori Children’s House will be more than happy to answer all your questions.