If you have your child in a Montessori school or are considering placing them in a Montessori school, it is a good idea to have your home environment match up with their school environment. This can allow for the transition from home to school to be a whole lot easier and can give your child a continuous learning journey.
One of the most important phrases we have in our Montessori education is “Help me to do it by myself.” This is a concept that is great to keep in mind when you are setting up your house to mirror a Montessori preschool.
How to Prep Your Home Montessori Style
- Have low shelves with different activities available in baskets. This allows your child to explore what they want when they want.
- A toddler-size table and chair can give your child a space to sit and read or do an activity.
- Provide soft spaces where your child can lay down and read or rest.
- Have low shelving and drawers with clothing options.
- Provide tools and utensils that are sized appropriately for your child.
- Provide 1 or 2 lower shelves in your kitchen pantry. Have a special plate, cup, and set of utensils that are child-friendly.
- Put healthy snacks on the lower shelves so that your child can become capable in getting their own snacks.
- A cloth and some water or child safe cleaning spray can be added as your child learns to clean up after themselves.
- Make the bathroom as comfortable as possible.
- Provide a step stool so your child can climb up onto the toilet.
- Have a basket of books that either you can read to them while learning to go potty or that they can read to themselves.
- Make toilet paper accessible.
As you can see, the Montessori student style is very much about independence in both learning and everyday living. Turning your home into a space where your child can practice this independence can help them put all the things they are learning at school into practice.
If you would like to know more about the Montessori style of learning or you are looking for a great school that promotes independence and discovery, come visit us at Montessori Children’s Center and take a tour today. We want to see your child grow and learn in every area of their life.